The Recipe: It’s two of your favourite things on the planet wrapped into one bacon-smothered, cheese-covered, beer-infused dish. It’s beer pizza, and we’re going to tell you how to make it!
The Pairing: Pizza is a heavy dish, so we like to keep things rather light on the beer side. For beer pizza, we’d recommend either a First Light Golden Ale, Devil’s Peak Pale Ale or Devil’s Peak Lager. All three have a nice balance of hop and malt that won’t overpower the flavours of the pizza. They’ll also lighter in body, allowing you to shovel down additional slices. Hey – survival of the fittest! We don’t want you tapping out after a few pieces.
– 15 ml olive oil
– 225g pepperoni sausage or salami, diced
– 455g bacon, diced
– 100g sliced mushrooms
– 1 onion, chopped
– 1 green bell pepper, chopped
– 1 (30ml) can tomato sauce
– 235 ml Devil’s Peak Lager
– 1 clove garlic, minced
– 2g dried oregano
– 1g dried thyme
– 3g salt
– 2 unbaked pizza crusts
– 30g shredded mozzarella cheese
– Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
– Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and saute the pepperoni and bacon until evenly browned. Mix in the mushrooms, onion, and green pepper. Cook and stir about 5 minutes, until tender.
– In a medium saucepan over medium heat, mix the ingredients from the skillet with the tomato sauce and beer. Season with garlic, oregano, thyme, and salt. Allow the mixture to simmer for about 15 minutes, until slightly thickened. Spread over the 2 pizza crusts, and top with cheese.
– Bake 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden brown.